2006 PERBACCO Lacrima Saint?Amico

Postby Garagiste » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:39 am

2006 PERBACCO Lacrima Saint?Amico -- Please keep the discussion on topic. Off topic posts will be moved or deleted.

Silk

Dear Friends,

One of the more eye-opening experiences I've had in the lastfewyears was my pilgrimage to the Marche to taste storied vintages ofVerdicchioaged in a local cellar near Ancona. This area of Italyrarelyreceives the fanfare of neighboring regions but its green landscape,historyand calming influence on the mind and spirit are palpable. It washere that I was invited to taste 20 vintages of old white wine, winethatsupposedly would not age beyond 10 years. I samples vintagesfromvarious producers circa 1930-1990 and the bottles had never moved fromthisprivate cellar (in the hands of the same family since 1905). Someof the glass was so caked with dust, cobwebs and sediment that youcouldbarely see through the bottles. I was a skeptic but I gaveeverywine a fair shake and my reaction was one of wonder. Many ofthebottles were so fresh, they were like a message in a bottle that hadfloatedashore - the scent of the nearby sea and sand were beyond something Icanaccurately describe. The Verdicchio tasting was a once inalifetime experience but it was not the impetus of this offer - the tworedwines that followed the tasting have that distinction - they were some ofthemost remarkable and individual wines I had ever tasted: aged bottlesofLacrima di Morro d'Alba.

Lacrima is one of the last unknown varietals in Italy and it is oftenreferredto as Italian Pinot Noir but my impression is more of a crossbetween PinotNoir, Nebbiolo and Syrah. The varietal is grown in the Marche,near the coast,and it can be quite fickle the way Pinot Noir seems to fighta tug of war withman and our intentions to harness its beauty. When treated with careand respect, Lacrima can produce one of theworld's most singularand exotic wine experiences and theSaint'Amico we offer below hasdone just that.

Of all the highlight wines I've discussed over the past fewmonths,the 2006 Lacrima "Perbacco" is an experiencerather thanjust a drink - it's that simple. It gives thetaster adream-like impression that keeps you searching for the sameexperience overand over. That can be a dangerous game as fewrecreations compareto a first impression (whether it's wine or lifein general). Inmany cases, I choose to leave that impression alone,preferring to keep theoriginal memory untouched. With deference toour hobby, I gave thiswine a 2nd and 3rd test to be sure I wasn't highon langoustine andsalt breezes off the Adriatic when I tasted it - It wasjust as good the 2ndand 3rd time.

Like a fresh basket of silken flowers, part Vosne-Romanee and part LaMorra,this is one of the surprises of the year. 2006 is alreadybeinghailed as a repeat of 1990 around Italy and this wine is so fresh andsoseductive, it's plush and deep fruited personality wrap theirarmsaround your palate like an old friend. The violet and rose aromaticsareswirling and incredible - the Perbacco has terrific acidity with atextural,lilting floral and satin mouthfeel and a mid-weight, unctuous,sap-filledmiddle that is quite unique. This is not a ponderous, high alcoholred wine -it is only 12.0-12.5% and it is meant to be enjoyed in youth (althoughthetwo vintages of Lacrima I tasted at the Verdicchio retrospective had15-20years of age on them and they were magical). A rare and unusual treatthat isa classic for the genre.

I'm probably shooting myself in the foot here but I can only get25cases of this wine (that's the remainder of entire US allocation-no additional wine can be had from 2006) so please be patient with Niki-please limit requests to 3/person so we can allocate the wine to as manyofyou as possible.

Please note: This is the "Perbacco" cru, nottheregular Lacrima di Morro d'Alba that is more widelyavailable.

VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

This lot has perfect provenance

2006 Antica Cantina Saint'Amico LacrimadiMorro d'Alba"Perbacco"-

To order: niki@garagistewine.com

This wine arrives with impeccable provenance in 2-3 weeks. It will shipduringthe first available shipping window (weather permitting).

Out of state orders will be held for free under ideal storage conditions(56degrees/70%humidity) until shipping is possible. Locals may pickupat their leisure.

For current local pick up and arrival/ship information, please see yourOARSlink below (at the bottom of this offer) - don't know how toaccessyour OARS? Simply click the link and see your account. Youcan alsopaste the link into your browser. If you are having troublewithyour link or your account, please contact:support@garagistewine.com

NO SALES TO RETAILERS OR WHOLESALERS

Thank you,

Jon Rimmerman
Garagiste
Seattle, WA

Italy7343
Garagiste

Re: 2006 PERBACCO Lacrima Saint?Amico

Postby henjef » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:36 am

My first experience with this wine--an educational experience, but one that I am not likely to repeat. I popped and poured the wine and was immediately hit with the most beautiful nose--a liquid rose water smell. Jon's description of the mouthfeel as "satin" is right on too. And it was a great accompaniment with food. But, the disqualifier was that after about 30 minutes, the acidity kicked in to the point where it was overwhelming. Jon described the Perbacco having "terrific acidity", but I thought it was like sucking on a watermelon Jolly rancher. It is not that I am acid-averse either (I love wines from Alsace, Chablis, Loire Valley and the Savoie), but this was too much for me.
henjef

Return to Garagiste Offers