2007 BOURGOGNE Blanc Collovray et Terr

Postby Garagiste » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:39 am

2007 BOURGOGNE Blanc Collovray et Terr -- Please keep the discussion on topic. Off topic posts will be moved or deleted.

2007 WhiteBurgundy

Dear Friends,

The 2007 White Burgundy vintage is starting to remind me of the fervoroverthe 2005 reds in the Cote d'Or - there seems to be aninsatiableappetite for the classic wine of this vintage and (at least to thistaster)the return to real Chardonnay is such a breath of fresh air that it isa firmreminder of why this varietal (and white Burgundy in general) has beensofamous for so long - it can be a stunning representation of terroirandvarietal complexity but the recent over-extraction and over-oaking ofthegrape by countries around the globe has led to its demise among themostknowledgeable aficionados (save for the very best domaine names southofBeaune). With that said, I've received even morerequestsfor 2007 White Burgundy/Chablis than the landslide of 2007 CdPrequestswe've had since I started talking about the 2007 Rhonevintage lastsummer. The difference is that the Rhone makes greatwine almostevery year - Burgundy only makes great wine once every decade orso - 2007 isthat year.

There are many surprises in 2007 with the whites but the biggest (for me)isin the Macon - where the Maconnaise have transformed theirnormallyequatorial climate into a combination of Puligny andChassagne-Montrachet (inturn, Chassagne acted more like Meursault in2007). I'vefound more wine to like in the Macon in 2007than in the previous five vintagescombined. The only problem ispricing - wine pre-committed orpurchased over the summer or early in the fall(before the dollar'srise) was done so at 1.60/Euro and a great dealof 2007 white Burgundy waspurchased and shipped over the summer and in theearly fall for pre-Christmasarrival. The same wine purchased now (like thiswine), was done so at 1.28 -a huge difference. For this reason alone, Ipredict wild differences in priceon many 2007 wines (whether purchased beforeor after the Euro'sslide), which is going to be very confusing forthe consumer but it is notthe fault of the merchant - it's simplyeconomiccircumstance. If you are on the right side of the fence,the priceswill seem amazing and that's exactly what'shappened withthis wine.

Enter one of our stalwart producers - Collovray (et Terrier) who madeastunning array of 2007 wine that is by far their best set todate. Where the 2005s were broad, strapping (heavy) wines - more inkeeping withthe norm for Macon, the 2007s are lithe dancers on an ample frame- like theabove referenced Chassagne with a Puligny-like sap inthemid-palate. From top vineyard material around the rock ofSolutre(this is first-rate fruit, not cast-off material), not only does thiswinehave atypical minerality for the Macon, but it also has enoughdelicateweight and soil-flecked aromatics to keep it veryinteresting. After tasting hundreds of 2007 white examples, thiswine is going to be verywell received and there's not much tocomplain about (I also haslow-alcohol for the Macon, 12.5 -13.0%). Basically, youget Cote d'Or quality at abare-bones price - we can all toast tothat.

While I'd like to take credit for this deal, it's moreanopportunity of luck (exchange rate luck) than anything. Don'tgetme wrong, the wine is still top-rate at a higher price or whatever itwouldhave been (pre-Euro slide) but for this price, much like the Chablis fromlastweek, it's almost hard to believe they can craft a wine thissolidfor the tariff.

White Burgundy house-wine anyone?

FIRST COME FIRST SERVED up to 24/person until we run out.

This parcel is directly from the winery cellar with perfect provenance-they've bottled it and shipped it on your behalf expressly foryourcellar (that's what I call freshness and service):

2007 Collovray (et Terrier) Bourgogne Blanc "Tradition"(Macon)-

To order: niki@garagistewine.com

This wine arrives with impeccable provenance at some point in 2008 (late).Itwill ship during the first available shipping window (weatherpermitting).

Out of state orders will be held for free under ideal storage conditions(56degrees/70%humidity) until shipping is possible. Locals may pickupat their leisure.

For current local pick up and arrival/ship information, please see yourOARSlink below (at the bottom of this offer) - don't know how toaccessyour OARS? Simply click the link and see your account. Youcan alsopaste the link into your browser. If you are having troublewithyour link or your account, please contact: support@garagistewine.com

NO SALES TO RETAILERS OR WHOLESALERS

Thank you,

Jon Rimmerman
Garagiste
Seattle, WA

Burg8490
Garagiste

Re: 2007 BOURGOGNE Blanc Collovray et Terr

Postby Ned Hoey » Thu May 14, 2009 8:54 pm

Delicious and easy to enjoy. White flowers, citrus, stones, minerals, no sign of wood. $12 and totally worth it.
In these times, chard this enjoyable at this price, defines QPR.
Ned Hoey

Postby egath » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:56 pm

Initial impression was white/yellow tropical fruits (banana?) on the nose, then a good softly-tart yellow tropical fruit palate. With time, it lost the softness and became much more tart, acidic, lemony, but still clean and good. Nice! What Chardonnay should be. Sadly I did not buy this (exactly) but got as part of the "Garage Sale" deal. Jeez - wish I had gotten a whole case of this.
egath

Postby natchestnut » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:47 pm

:)
natchestnut

Postby piobaxter » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:07 pm

Does this taste yummy?
piobaxter

Return to Garagiste Offers