2007 COQUELET Chiroubles

Postby Garagiste » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:39 am

2007 COQUELET Chiroubles -- Please keep the discussion on topic. Off topic posts will be moved or deleted.

Coquelet -IMPORTANT

Dear Friends,

This is one of the most exciting new producers in Burgundy andhe'sonly 20 years old. I had to fight to get this wine soI hope hiseffort leaves you as entranced as I was the first time I tastedit.

Damien Coquelet is the son of George Descombes - Beaujolais'answerto Roumier. Ghislaine Descombes (George's wife) is his motherandGeorges has raised him since he was one. Damien has started a smallestateunder George's supervision and for his first wine, George and Ghislainegavehim a superb plot to work in Chiroubles with vines over 80-years of age(thisis the parcel that was the heart of the 2006 Descombes Chiroubles VVthat wasone of the highest rated Beaujolais in Tanzer's IWC a fewmonthsago - a wine that Damien worked on with his father). George'sgiftto Damien of his most prized plot is the equivalent of giving your kid aseaton the Board of Directors at age 20 but, in this case, he'sactuallyearned it by working the Descombes vineyards since he was 5 (notmany 20 yearolds can boast 15 years of experience).

Now in bottle, Coquelet's 2007 Chiroubles has the attention ofthewine world and even the most astute of tasters like Joe Dressner areshockedat how good the wine is. Dressner has said this was one ofthefinest wines he tasted all summer and that is a major statementconsideringhow many worthy beverages pass by his lips (everyone knows howmany topproducers Joe represents, including Damien'sfather). Ofmost importance to me, Joe never likes anything so forhim to evenacknowledge this wine, let alone heap praise on it, is quiteunusual (givehim a bottle of 1990 Margaux and he'll shrug hisshoulders and askfor a glass of rose' instead - in other words,this guy is not easyto sway).

Not only has Dressner been moved by this wine but others have beensoimpressed with Coquelet that they are "giving"himvineyards (seriously). Beaujolais needs a young Leroy-likefigureto uphold the promise of the region and there are those well within theinnercircle that feel Damien is that figure. In an "only in the OldWorld"moment, Pierre Savoie (who is mayor of Morgon), recentlyretired with hisbiggest investment intact: a golden-zone plot of Cote de Py.Savoie's wife isGeorges Descombes 1st cousin and Savoie has decided to giveDamien Coquelethis three hectares of Morgon Cote de Py - all so he can(loosely translated)"go for it". The"it" isthe golden nugget of recognition that everyonehopes will come their way ifDamien succeeds and shines a bright light uponBeaujolais - a Burgundianregion that (despite immense quality) has stoodforever in the shadow of itsmore recognized sibling north of Macon. Maybe Damien'sefforts can change that?

The 2007 Coquelet is like looking at Chiroubles for the first time throughaspy-glass - everything is so much clearer, more detailed and brighterthanbefore. This wine has everything that makes the finest examples ofterroir sospecial - it drips its signature style of crushed rock, flowers andpurevarietal tone from every pore and the sweet fruit is even keeled, elegantanddeftly structured despite a medium-weight, low-alcohol style. The finishgoeson and on and it never shows itself completely, preferring to dancearoundits promise, to keep the taster coming back for something special - tohave anecessary second and third look that reveals an even finer level ofdetail -a quality that only the finest wines possess. Did I saythis wasgood?

VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - VERY RARE (one meager parcel fortheentire US - I believe only 35 cases - most of this will remain in Francefortop restaurants)

This parcel is directly from the cellars at Coquelet withimpeccableprovenance:

2007 Damien Coquelet"Chiroubles"(Vielles Vignes)-

Please give us your maximum number and we will allocateaccordingly

To order: niki@garagistewine.com

This wine arrives with impeccable provenance at some point this fall. Itwillship during the first available shipping window (weatherpermitting).

Out of state orders will be held for free under ideal storage conditions(56degrees/70%humidity) until shipping is possible. Locals may pickupat their leisure.

For current local pick up and arrival/ship information, please see yourOARSlink below (at the bottom of this offer) - don't know how toaccessyour OARS? Simply click the link and see your account. Youcan alsopaste the link into your browser. If you are having troublewithyour link or your account, please contact:support@garagistewine.com

NO SALES TO RETAILERS OR WHOLESALERS

Thank you,

Jon Rimmerman
Garagiste
Seattle, WA

Burg9720
Garagiste

Re: 2007 COQUELET Chiroubles

Postby abreaks » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:12 am

Fantastic - reference point Cru Beaujolais.
abreaks

Re: 2007 COQUELET Chiroubles

Postby rockymtn » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:23 am

Agreed - my third bottle, the most recent by far my favorite. Tasted blind, this would fool a lot of experienced tasters.
rockymtn

Return to Garagiste Offers