Il Colle Brunello Vertical

Postby Garagiste » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:39 am

Il Colle Brunello Vertical -- Please keep the discussion on topic. Off topic posts will be moved or deleted.
Garagiste

Re: Il Colle Brunello Vertical

Postby cellartracker » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:07 pm

These have been a bit disappointing given the utterly wonderful story behind them. Here are my notes on the vintages I have opened. I also opened a 1982 last summer but didn't take a note. I am still sitting on 83, 88 and 90 and hoping for some fireworks eventually.
  • 1979 Il Colle Brunello di Montalcino Riserva - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (8/25/2005)
    This was a charming bottle of Brunello, a bit austere and reserved yet with nice notes of raisin, cedar, and cranberry. The palate is a contrast of delicate fruit together with surprising grip and resolve and firmness. I just wish this was a bit more complex and interesting. I was wavering between 90 and 91 points with a final nod to 91. (91 pts.)
  • 1985 Il Colle Brunello di Montalcino Riserva - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (6/10/2005)
    Dinner at Lampreia (Seattle, WA): This was a very nice and still young and firm Brunello. I was hoping to be more wowed. The aromatics were never outstanding, a hint of mushroom and an earthy and iron infused nose, some pine needle. The palate was a much nicer story with dried cherry, rich, powerful, earthy, still with chewy tannins, yet long and mouthfilling. The acidity here was very sound, and this worked well with a wide variety of food. I guess I expected more fireworks. (91 pts.)
  • 1981 Il Colle Brunello di Montalcino Riserva - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (12/2/2004)
    Roy Hersh's 1990 & older tasting of "Wines that don't suck" (Sammamish, WA, USA): Mmm, now we are talking Brunello. I was warned by the importer (Josh Hanson at Small Vineyards LLC) that this was the most likely of the Il Colle vertical to be over the hill, but it was anything but! The bouquet soars from the glass with pleasing scents of pine needle, dried herbs, and a spiciness that reminds me of the smell of the hills from a couple of trips to Tuscany to cycle in the summer heat. Mmm, the palate is vibrant and layered with great acidity, not a ton of complexity but just lovely, mature Sangiovese. The finish is smooth with fine tannins. The balance on this wine was excellent, and it was a bottle that I would like to sip by a fire for hours on end. (92 pts.)
  • 1980 Il Colle Brunello di Montalcino Riserva - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (12/2/2004)
    Roy Hersh's 1990 & older tasting of "Wines that don't suck" (Sammamish, WA, USA): The nose here is sound, slightly meaty with soaring notes of pine resin that hit you high in your nostrils. On the palate this is the most powerful and structured of the wines (which is a little scary for a nearly 25 year old wine) with a nice bit of tapenade flavor. The finish is grippy and tannic, literally sticking your teeth to your gums for a couple of minutes after a sip. I flirted with 90 points, as this was certainly very charming, but the balance isn't quite there with the somewhat intrusive tannins. (89 pts.)
  • 1978 Il Colle Brunello di Montalcino Riserva - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (12/2/2004)
    Roy Hersh's 1990 & older tasting of "Wines that don't suck" (Sammamish, WA, USA): I am not giving this a rating, as the bottle was showing clear notes of being oxidized with lots of caramel. Despite this, the palate was actually quite pleasant on a fresh pour with strawberry and balsamic giving way to cranberry. Very vibrant acidity. A number of people commented that this was their favorite of the three on a fresh pour.
Posted from CellarTracker
cellartracker

Postby Ned Hoey » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:29 pm

IMO the main disappointment of these was not so much the wines as the expense. I really believe the price
was too high, and yes, even for aged wines. I think the average bottle price was well over $100. All things considered, a more fair and reasonable average price would have been $80- $90. That might have tempered any disappointment.
Ned Hoey

Postby ihanna » Wed May 30, 2012 10:56 pm

Ned Hoey wrote :
> IMO the main disappointment of these was not so much the wines as the
> expense. I really believe the price
> was too high, and yes, even for aged wines. I think the average bottle
> price was well over $100. All things considered, a more fair and reasonable
> average price would have been $80- $90. That might have tempered any
> disappointment.

Yeah, that is one of my problem too. I want it as collection but it's price won't let me. Do you know if where can I buy it cheaply? I want to get one by the weekend so please suggest one to me. I am okay with buying online as long as they're reliable.
ihanna

Return to Garagiste Offers