2000 TATO Saint?Ele

Postby Garagiste » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:39 am

2000 TATO Saint?Ele -- Please keep the discussion on topic. Off topic posts will be moved or deleted.

Tato

Dear Friends,

This one requires more than a passing glance and it should repayyourcuriosity with one of the high-end price/value wines of the year. If youareinto aged Bordeaux, this is for you...

In Italy, the month of August is a time to forget your troubles, to whileawaythe day at the beach and re-charge for the coming fall andwinter. It's usually too hot to do much (although notthis year) and the"national monthly holiday" is one thatis expected (canyou imagine the US shutting down for the entire month ofAugust? Maybe theEuropeans are on to something).

I mention this because I was treated to this wine over the weekend by afriendof mine that is also a major collector in Italy. He holdsanexclusive summer dinner every year that is a send-off to the August holiday-it is always the weekend before the 1st of August. To understand thismentality,in August, normally close-knit Italian friends and family go theirindependentway for a month - sort of like grade school summer vacation whereyoudon't see each other until the next school year and you comeback inSeptember excited to tell stories about your summeradventure. Thisdinner acts as a send-off and it is done in style.I am always thankful for aninvitation to this event as great old bottles areopened but the focus istypically on 1-2 new wines poured with the maincourse. This year, he chose topour this. My point is, he has justabout every wine you can imaginein his cellar and he picked this as the wineto share with the mostsignificant food of the evening - not Haut Brion orComte de Vogue (as in thepast) but this - the 2000 Tato (that food course,by the way, was one of themore incredible meat dishes I've had insome time - an interplay ofchar grilled NY strip that was finely sliced andwoven"between" braised maitake and porcini mushroomswith wholesauteed leek strands acting as a ribbon that were tied aroundthesteak/mushroom "present" to hold the creation together-insane).

The 2000 Tato is from one of Italy's most promisingold-worldlandscapes and one of it's least traveled - almost theTransylvaniaof Italy. In the northeast, near Slovenia, the Tato is a Friulianmysterytrain bent on changing the game once and for all - it is what makesthiscorner of Europe so intriguing for me. It is wild and unharnessed butstillmedium bodied, elegant and low in alcohol (as opposed to something likeMianithat is massive and high in alcohol) - all I can say is that this isastunning wine. I have very limited experience with this producer (I believeIhad the 1999 once in Verona after the Parker review) but it made suchanolfactory impression on me (and the other attendees) that I spent thebetterpart of yesterday trying to find a parcel in pristine condition.

I recommend you enjoy this wine over the duration of an evening, withandwithout food as it changes every hour or so. It is like crushed tobaccomixedwith floating red fruits with just the right touch of regal aged cedar.Thismay sound ridiculous but (in a blind tasting), it's a toss upas towhich you would prefer from an olfactory standpoint at this stageofdevelopment, the 2000 Lafleur or the 2000 Tato (I've had the2000Lafleur at least 4-6 times already, thanks to the Guinaudeau family sothisimpression comes from experience - certainly the Lafleur will be betterintime but I'm talking about today) - if you have stopped laughingatthis point, and wish to read on, the 2000 Tato is like an enviable mixof2000 Right and Left Bank (Calon-Segur mixed with Vieux Chateau Certan?)spuntogether by the climate and different soil structure in Friuli. If youcravecharismatic, top-level 2000 Bordeaux at what would be considered aridiculousprice at this point, this is your wine...and it may introduce youto a newregion that is ripe for discovery - Friuli.

I found this old Wine Spectator review (if you need it) penned on releasebutit really doesn't address the evolution of the wine, which isitsmagic: "Ripe and rich on the nose, with currants, berries,lightlytoasted oak and a hint of tobacco. Medium- to full-bodied,withwell-integrated tannins and a velvety finish. Almost jammy.CabernetSauvignon and Merlot. Best wine ever from here. Best after2007.90pts"

VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED as a wonderful new discovery:

2000 Saint'Elena "Tato"(Friuli)- (WS90)
(this is a terrific price - you can check pricing on the 2001 ifyoucan't find the 2000 listed)

Please give us your maximum number up to 12/person and we will allocateaccordingly

To order: niki@garagistewine.com

This wine arrives with impeccable provenance in 2-3 weeks. It will shipduringthe first available shipping window (weather permitting).

Out of state orders will be held for free under ideal storage conditions(56degrees/70%humidity) until shipping is possible. Locals may pickupat their leisure.

For current local pick up and arrival/ship information, please see yourOARSlink below (at the bottom of this offer) - don't know how toaccessyour OARS? Simply click the link and see your account. Youcan alsopaste the link into your browser. If you are having troublewithyour link or your account, please contact: support@garagistewine.com

NO SALES TO RETAILERS OR WHOLESALERS

Thank you,

Jon Rimmerman
Garagiste
Seattle, WA

Italy8989
Garagiste

Re: 2000 TATO Saint?Ele

Postby Jenise » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:24 am

Hated this wine. Took it to a blind tasting lunch where it successfully defied all attempts to identify it (by some of the best experts I know) but it was not satisfying on any level and is full of the soy sauce-y flavors of a wine that's slowly dying instead of aging gracefully. It was probably over the hill when I bought it. I hate it when that happens.
Jenise

Postby Andrew Hall » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:52 pm

The bottle I had in Dec seemed incredibly primary. Interesting.

A.
Andrew Hall

Postby Jenise » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:25 pm

Really? Well, I have another bottle, maybe that was one of those mysteriously flawed bottles.
Jenise

Return to Garagiste Offers