?05 BOUISSEL Classic Rouge Frontonnais (2005)

Postby Garagiste » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:39 am

?05 BOUISSEL Classic Rouge Frontonnais (2005) -- Please keep the discussion on topic. Off topic posts will be moved or deleted.
Garagiste

Re: BOUISSEL Classic Rouge Frontonnais (2005)

Postby Nico P. » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:02 am

12.5%. Lavender inflected dark fruits, plummy; liquorice on the finish. Still dark and chewy. Drinking very well.

This has held up quite well, despite my misgivings about the synthetic cork. The 2006 is drinking as good if not better than the 2005.

However, after the 2005 I never saw any more Garagiste offers for this producer. I wonder why?

From the often misunderstood Cotes du Frontonnais in the southwest of France near Toulouse (which receives some of the highest solar radiation of any growing region in France but still remains cooled by the Mediterranean), the 2005 Classic Rouge flows from steep terraces above the river Tarn - it is a wine the Revue du Vin de France swooned over and called a “revelation in our tastings”. From mostly Negrette with the remainder Cabernet Franc, Cot (Malbec), and Syrah the wine is simply a classic as its name belies. A Paris MDO Gold Medal in 2003, 2004 and now 2005 (although the 2004 is by far the weakest), the 2005 is back to the giant killer form of the 2001 version - it is everything one could ask for from a wine such as this. The 2005 vintage in this area mimicked the Right Bank of Bordeaux and the top Fronton wines are generous, perfumed and textural in only the way Negrette can provide. The grape lends itself to a silky, sifted characte r that aromatically highlights the natural ground cover of the area and lavender flowers that dot the region.
This vintage of Classic Rouge should be the coming out party for Bouissel, a property that has so much potential but has refused to play the marketing game that dominates today’s wine world. With everything from anise, white pepper, wild flower and raspberry vying for your attention, the medium bodied layered and tannic palate is low in alcohol but high on character and personality.
Nico P.

Return to Garagiste Offers