2003 LORIZA Khalkhal-Pamies

Postby Garagiste » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:39 am

2003 LORIZA Khalkhal-Pamies -- Please keep the discussion on topic. Off topic posts will be moved or deleted.

Loriza

Dear Friends,

I drank this wine for the third time last night and it reminded me of myfirstencounter last summer - a wine like this embodies ourcommitment tothe best the wine-world has to offer without inducing a secondmortgage.

Maybe it was the small Italian water glass I drank this out of that made itsomemorable (over three nights) or the fact that the aromatics were stillsolovely without a wine stem in sight. The bottle rattled aroundinthe back of my broken-down Lancia for almost a week before I decided toletthe magic out of the (admittedly) warm bottle. Shaken andstirred(much to the dismay of 007) I never intended to offer this so it wasnot apriority. On the other hand, I always wish to to be polite to thosethatoffer me a look into their vinous world, so, on a rainy Monday afternoonIgrew tired of seeing it in the back seat - the cork was pulled and boy wasIsurprised. This wine, in this price range, is one on themorememorable Grenache-based 2003's and (with four years in thebottle)it's drinking superbly right now.

If you adore the kirsch-laced wine of Châteauneuf-du-Pape circa1990(Brunel's 1990 Cuvee Centenaire comes to mind as one of thepurestkirsch aromatics I've ever encountered) but wish to pay ourpriceinstead of $30-50, this is an excellent place to start.

When they chose the site for their winery in the high elevation of thenewlyanointed La Caunette, it may have actually been too cold. Ittook avintage like 2003 to elevate the Loriza to normal levels (scary) -inexcellent vintages such as 2001 and 2005, the Loriza is quite good but inaheat-wave year, it's an amazing wine. Low inalcohol(only 13.0-13.5%) and brimming with gorgeous perfume and extract, thiswinewill captivate from the get-go. I can't compare thistoany other wine in Minervois - it is elegant, medium bodied and never triestobowl you over the head with anything except it'scharmingstyle. A beautiful wine with a haunting kirsch-filledbouquet thatlasted (open, with just the cork pushed back in) for three nightsin the backseat - now that's promise.

This winery was just cited by the Revue du Vins de France as one of thetopfew in all of Minervois and it's easy to see why (it'salsointeresting to note that other vintages are readily available but notthe 2003- I'm not the only one that has caught on).

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for terrific value and unique aromaticcomplexity:

2003 Khalkhal-Pamies"Loriza"(Minervois) -

...at the request of some of our Rhone enthusiasts, we also have aperfectparcel of 2004 Les Pallieres Gigondas at a great price - what shouldbe oneof the lowest in the world:

2004 Domaine Les Pallieres Gigondas-(WA88)(IWC92)

Parker: " The 2004 Les Pallieres Gigondas, cropped at 28hectolitersper hectare, possesses notes of crushed rocks, dried herbs,raspberry andcherry fruit, elegance, medium body, and a nice, slightlyaustere butimpressive finish. It should drink well for at least adecade.88pts"

Tanzer's IWC: "Medium red. Highly complex aromas ofredfruits and pungent herbs, warmed by a gentle toasty oak tone. Suaveflavorsof raspberry and cherry are accented by lavender and bitterchocolate.Finishes on a sweet note, with dusty tannins and a lingering spicecharacter.92pts"

Please give us your maximum number up to 12/each and we willallocateaccordingly

To order either of the above: niki@garagistewine.com

Both have arrived and will be available for local pick up in a week ortwo(check OARS). Both will ship during the first available shipping window(weatherpermitting).

Out of state orders will be held for free under ideal storage conditions(56degrees/70%humidity) until shipping is possible. Locals may pickupat their leisure.

For current local pick up and arrival/ship information, please see yourOARSlink below (at the bottom of this offer) - don't know how toaccessyour OARS? Simply click the link and see your account. Youcan alsopaste the link into your browser. If you are having troublewithyour link or your account, please contact:support@garagistewine.com

NO SALES TO RETAILERS OR WHOLESALERS

Thank you,

Jon Rimmerman
Garagiste
Seattle, WA

Rhone2256
SOFR7789
Garagiste

Re: 2003 LORIZA Khalkhal-Pamies

Postby Vindicator » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:55 pm

I had the Loriza Minervois last night, with the second half of the bottle tonight, and it is a terrific wine for the price. Fruity enough to drink without food (as I did last night), but of course really nice with a meal (as tonight). I can't really disagree with Jon's note. Fruit, kirsch, no telltale "2003" over-ripeness, no noticeable alcohol or oak, just a really nice bottle of genuine wine for less than $15. One of my better Garagiste finds over the last few months. Recommended.
Vindicator

Return to Garagiste Offers