2006 BISCEGLIA Terra di Volcano AGLIANICO

Re: 2006 BISCEGLIA Terra di Volcano AGLIANICO

Postby Nico P. » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:12 am

Original offer:
"What Basilicata has at its roots over other regions of Italy is simple: soil and climate - unique and supremely rich volcanic soil from Monte Vulture (that some say is still apt to blow its top), vineyard terrain with mountainous elevation grades and one of Europe’s finest climates. The result is a recipe for endless wine success. As an example, where Galardi’s Aglianico (the principle varietal used for Terra di Lavoro) benefits from a sea influence and the influence of Vesuvius, Bisceglia’s vineyard stock benefits from the Vulture volcanic effect but also the dry and near-perfect climate of this region. The day and night temperatures can vary by as much as 50 degrees giving inland Basilicata an almost high-desert feel. By contrast, Galardi’s temperature variation is quite small due to their perch near the Mediterranean and the climate is far more humid. While one climate is not necessarily better than the other, each produces a different takes on Aglianico with equal success. If nothing else, it is interesting to note that I asked winemakers from all over Italy (including Piedmont and Alto Adige) which region had the most ideal balance of terroir and potential in Italy – many said Sicily but just as many said Basilicata.

If you are a fan of red Burgundy and/or Taurasi, Bisceglia's 2006 Terra di Volcano (literally, the terroir of the volcano) will seduce you for a pittance of a price. From a great vintage (as 2006 has turned out to be in most of central and southern Italy), this $11.86 silk and red-spiced charmer has a Pinot Noir-like texture meshed with a finely grained, serious backbone – its versatility and food-friendly red-fruit style will be appreciated by many of you (it would be a terrific house-wine). Laughably low-priced, this is the face of a new generation that doesn’t know Chianti Classico is the only accepted $15 red wine south of Florence:

Antonio Galloni: “($15); I was struck by the wines I tasted from Bisceglia this year. The property is located in Basilicata, where Aglianico reigns supreme. That said, the estate has had notable success with international grapes as well. These stylish wines reflect the personality of proprietor Mario Bisceglia and bode extremely well for the future. Readers looking for an Aglianico that won’t break the bank should check out Bisceglia’s 2006 Aglianico del Vulture Terre di Vulcano. Layers of sweet dark fruit, spices, menthol and minerals all come to life in this engaging and delicious red. Even at this entry level, the wine has the pedigree that makes Aglianico one of Italy’s most important varieties. The wine was aged in stainless steel, which keeps things fresh and vibrant. Anticipated maturity: 2009-2012. 89pts"

My tasting note from CT:
13.5%. Popped and poured. Simple red berry (strawberry, raspberry) smells. Powdery tannins. No noticeable oak. Enough acid to be drinkable with a meal, and drinkable now. This bottle was sealed with a synthetic cork, so I would be wary about trying to keep this beyond this year.
Day2 - tastes like caramel strawberry jam oak chips water - strange. Drink up, and drink up in one go.
Nico P.

Return to Garagiste Offers