ELEGIE Cote Rotie

Re: ELEGIE Cote Rotie

Postby dbp » Wed May 04, 2011 5:58 am

N.V. Elegie Côte-Rôtie - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (5/3/2011)
Popped and poured, in glass 45 minutes. Have notes of large, freshly cut open black peppercorns, a charred steak, and Brussles Sprouts covered in burnt balsamic vinegar. The palate is thin, mildly spicy, with more meat sauce and balsamic (maybe even chicken broth), but there's a bit of volatile acidity that's dominating throughout the palate isn't pleasant. The VA kicks in higher on the finish, with tart bitterness dominating, with some green berry notes, and I'm left with the notion of chewing on metal filings. Definitely a mediocre wine here. Major bummer that I have 5. 82 points on day one.

This was a totally different wine on day 2. Left for 24 hours under cork (no argon). Today it offers only light aromas of the black peppercorns and beef, instead focusing more on earth, spice, graphite, and pommegranite. It almost smells Italian, like a young, light Nebbiolo. The palate is still fairly light in body, but doesn't feel "thin." The immediate flavors are quite delicious and lithe, showing some strawberry, raspberry, and aged balsamic notes (remove the "burnt" note from yesterday), and more pommegranite. Quite tart and lusciously crisp on the palate. With a ton of aeration I get this deliciously sweet berry creamcheese frosting. Yum. The finish is very tart, showing really pleasing acidity of slight apple core... that is, not at all volatile in nature. It seems this just needed some time to blow off. It's quite pleasing right now. Score is for day 2. Still no revelation, even for the price, but it is pretty, and nearly unrecognizable from the wine I opened yesterday. While the one glass yesterday was hard, I put down two glasses in a hurry tonight without even noticing. 90-91 on day two, and getting better as it goes... (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
dbp

Re: ELEGIE Cote Rotie

Postby ira » Thu May 05, 2011 5:14 pm

Thanks for the info. Note to self, decant for a couple of hours before drinking
ira

Return to Garagiste Offers