What are/did you drink this weekend?

What are/did you drink this weekend?

Postby chateaunoname » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:44 pm

What are you drinking this weekend? Tell us about it. How much did it cost? Would you recommend it to others? What is the percentage of red versus white wine that you drink? This should get a few side topics going as well I imagine. :?:
chateaunoname

Re: What are/did you drink this weekend?

Postby cbbrown3 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:12 am

No Garagiste wines for me this weekend.

We had a couple of wines from California mailing lists and one I grabbed at the local wine store.

2004 Vincent Arroyo JJ's Blend - A nice, lighter styled cab blend. $18 from the wineries mailing list.

2005 Domaine Chandon Carneros Chardonnay - A nice, slightly oaked, non-malo chard with just a bit too much oak for my tastes. $12.34 from the local wine store. I do work at the store in a part time/fill in basis.

2005 Copain Syrah McDowell Valley - A really nice, bold, Syrah from one of my favorite wineries. $35 from the wineries mailing list.

We are BIG red wine drinkers. We drink 25 to 30 reds for every white. My current cellar is:
733 bottles of red wine
30 bottles of riesling (mainly Garagiste offerings)
5 bottles of other whites
7 bottles of dessert style wines (PX Sherries, ports, etc)

Cliff
cbbrown3

Postby samwhiting » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:48 pm

Wine: 2004 Andrew Will Sheridan Vineyard. Bordeaux Blend from Yakima Valley, Washington State.
Price: $50 a few years ago (I think) from the winery.
Outcome: I took a sip at a dinner party on Sunday while heatedly discussing politics and economic stimulus packages. I had to stop in mid sentence to say, "wow, this is really, really delicious." Superb balance and ripe tasty fruit. A few other folks tasted and we all paused to smile. Then we got back to arguing.
My Score: 93 points

Sam
samwhiting

Postby davidcig » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:58 am

2005 Virely-Rougeot BOURGOGNE that was bought from Garagiste for @ $16. This one needs time to open, at least 3 hrs. Nice bright fruit, fair balance initially. After several hours the fruit mellowed and got much darker. Turned into a very smooth wine and even held up nicely the next day. Very good QPR that I believe will improve with some age.

2003 Santa Duc Gigondas. This is a big wine. Lots of nice fruit that has mellowed over the last 2 years. Has strong black licorice, tar, lavender flavors but not over powering. This wine paired well with the lamb chops and mushroom risotto we ate with it. Plenty of fruit to age and I am probably drinking this too early.
davidcig

Postby cbbrown3 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:57 am

Thanks for the note on the Virely-Rougeot Bourgogne, I have three bottles in the cellar and was thinking about giving one a shot in the next few months.

I have a bottle of the 2000 Santa Duc Gigondas (non Garagiste purchase) in the cellar that is on my "to drink soon" list.

Cliff
cbbrown3

Postby davidcig » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:22 pm

cbbrown3 wrote:Thanks for the note on the Virely-Rougeot Bourgogne, I have three bottles in the cellar and was thinking about giving one a shot in the next few months.

I have a bottle of the 2000 Santa Duc Gigondas (non Garagiste purchase) in the cellar that is on my "to drink soon" list.

Cliff

Cliff,

I have not had the 2000 Santa Duc but I am sure it is just great. Hope you post tasting notes when you finally try it.

BTW, is your name really Cliff Brown? He was an outstanding trumpeter.
davidcig

Postby cbbrown3 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:24 pm

davidcig wrote:I have not had the 2000 Santa Duc but I am sure it is just great. Hope you post tasting notes when you finally try it.

BTW, is your name really Cliff Brown? He was an outstanding trumpeter.

I am Cliff Brown, but not that one, especially since he's dead, and I'm not. :D

I'll post the Santa Duc note when I open it.

Cliff
cbbrown3

Postby arbeck » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:20 pm

I had the 2007 Mas Pouperas Cote du Rhone Villages “Funambule”.
arbeck

Postby silox » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:27 pm

I had a '90 Ducru Beaucaillou that was my last of 6 bottles. I'm sorry I didn't wait on it, as it was really special -- much better than the original 89 pt from Parker. Nice and smoky with strong mid-palate and finish. I'd give it a 93-4. Given my previous experience with the wine, I must have caught it at the perfect time.
silox

Postby Vindicator » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:20 pm

No Garagiste wine this past weekend, but a couple of nice treats.

1983 Gentaz-Dervieux Cote Rotie - good, elegant, probably a bit past prime.

1999 Felsina CCR (white label) - very tasty.
Vindicator

Next

Return to Wine Talk