The Interview: March 2009 - Jancis Robinson

The Interview: March 2009 - Jancis Robinson

Postby Garagiste » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:05 am

Please keep the discussion on topic. Off topic posts will be moved or deleted.

The article can be found here: http://www.garagistewine.com/news/the-i ... ?Itemid=56
Garagiste

Re: The Interview: March 2009 - Jancis Robinson

Postby guitarguy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:31 pm

In my opinion, Australia's problem in the US and UK stems primarily from the over the top quality of many of their affordable wines (eg. Mollydooker, Two Hands, etc.). Plagued by high alcohol, high residual sugar, huge extract and palate fatiguing qualities, these wines at the above plonk, below Grange level, quite often arrive in my cellar with fatal flaws including brett and other microbial contamination encouraged by high residual sugar levels. The Aussie sweet spot, especially with most vineyard being machine harvested, should be in the $15-75 price levels but I have nearly abandoned these wines because they are too high in alcohol, to hard to drink alone, too full of nasty skunky brett and too much of too much. When Garagiste provides the shining antitheses to these wines, as Jon has done in recent offerings, I subscribe, otherwise I run for the hills. I have a cellar full of the offensive wines purchased when my palate was less refined and I am sad to say many may never be consumed.

Thanks to Jancis for taking the time to speak with Garagiste.
guitarguy

Re: The Interview: March 2009 - Jancis Robinson

Postby barnaby33 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:09 pm

Why then is it difficult to get what is out there. Good quality shiraz, from producers who didn't follow the Parker/Grateful palette arc?
barnaby33

Return to Wine Talk