fiber vs. styrofoam

How would you feel if you received your wine in a fiber shipper instead of styrofoam?

Please don't send my wine in a fiber shipper.
14%
I guess some circumstances may warrant using a fiber shipper but only if I say so.
17%
What took you so long?
69%

Total votes : 35

Re: fiber vs. styrofoam

Postby thamnosma » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:03 pm

I am quite pleased about the switch to fiber. I work at a local university and the students that saw my stash of styrofoam-filled wine boxes (I save all mine just in case of a move) were quite critical. It was a relief to then let them know it's fiber from last year on.
thamnosma

Postby jeff hellman » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:21 pm

I would prefer styrofoam. I don't trust the insulation of fiber.
jeff hellman

Postby vindegarde » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:00 am

If Garagiste would include a return pre-coded label, I would be happy to send back the empty carton with styrofoam at my expense for re-use. The shipping cost for this very light container is minimal. I used to do it with another winery and recall it being <$10.
vindegarde

Postby jophly » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:48 pm

The most recent styfo shippers are pretty stripped down to minimum so maybe these are no better. They do remain non recyclable. Plus they are much less reusable because they often break during their first trip. ...

Movies Online
download movies
download animation
jophly

Postby MyJuliet » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:30 pm

Awesome Garagiste, in the spring of cardboard shipping. Seems there are many paper products, but all recovered from the foam, I sent landfill last fall, a huge improvement. Yes, ah, to Jon and G'iste team.
MyJuliet

Postby berry » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:26 am

Learning a few key words or phrases in your destination's native tongue can help you out of a sticky situation - and again can show your hosts that you have invested time and effort into learning about their culture.
berry

Postby Frabjous » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:15 am

Fiber is much better, it is reusable, renewable and recyclable. We use it as a fire-starter in our fireplace, and our son’s gerbils chew it to shreds with great gusto! We also keep a few fiber cartons and liners on hand to move wine when necessary. I’ve even shredded it and put it in our compost.

Mark aka Frabjous
Frabjous

Postby johnsamu » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:51 pm

Lots of helpful web-sites say to wash the siding before painting, but nobody says what is preferred to wash it with. Regular dish soap or laundry soap? Add a little bleach? Some special product at Lowes or Home Depot, or what? The Hardieplank site says nothing either, other than washing it.
johnsamu

Previous

Return to Wine Talk