Wine Cooler/Refrigerator

Wine Cooler/Refrigerator

Postby w3wa2003 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:27 pm

I'm looking to purchase a wine cooler/refrigerator. I have read many conflict reports regarding the reliability of various models, as well as the importance of minimizing vibration.

Does Garagiste or any user know of reliable guides/reviews?

Thank you
w3wa2003

Re: Wine Cooler/Refrigerator

Postby Bojest » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:50 am

I've had a 58 bottle Vinotemp for over 4 years and am very happy with it. My only regret is I didn't buy a bigger one. My advice would be, whatever size you think you want, get a bigger one. If you're serious about cellaring wine, you'll be glad you did.
Bojest

Postby justin_ruch1180 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:06 pm

I agree with you Bojest! better buy the bigger ones!!
justin_ruch1180

Postby bigRay » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:49 am

Glass door wine coolers are great. It depends on what you need, if you're planning to store a lot, better get a bigger one. 8-)
bigRay

Postby fish3d » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:59 pm

Hi All,
I have the opportunity to purchase a two year old 166 bottle capacity Danby. It has 4 years of in home
warranty . It is very difficult to find information about wine coolers. I have a GE 29 bottle fridge I
got from Home Depot but thanks to Garagiste I need to go bigger. It is not likely I will keep wines longer
than five years however even in my GE I have a small plastic cup with a sponge to keep the humidity
around 70%. I've read the few reviews on Amazon about Danby they were the only ones I could find and they
were not positive. The unit will be in my kitchen/dining room (open floor plan) and I have low ceilings.
I'm concerned about noise and just general longevity. All comments appreciated.

Cheers!
fish3d

Postby Bojest » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:43 pm

If the price is right, it could be worth the risks. That one is over $1300 new, right? If they are asking less than $650, I would probably go for it. But, you can get a pretty nice new one, albeit smaller, for that kind of money. And if you get four years under warranty, I would say that reduces the risk. I don't have any first hand knowledge of that brand but my GF had a 28 bottle Vinotemp (a brand I thought had a good rep) that lasted maybe 4 years. It was gonna cost too much to have it fixed so I started looking for a replacement. Anything in the 28-32 bottle range was going for over $330 (internet searches) but I was walking through Costco and they had several 34 bottle Vinotemps for only $188. I jumped on it, in spite of the first one failing. Even if it only lasts another 4 years, that's a small price to pay to keep your better bottles properly stored. But I don't envision "cellaring" any particular wines for many years....they are usually just in there until I get to them. Maybe you do plan to, so reliability would be a bigger concern for you. My best advice is, if you know what you want and what you're willing to pay, you'll know what to do. I don't think anyone can assure you it will hold up, but I wouldn't worry about noise. Shouldn't be any louder than your refrigerator when it runs.
Bojest

Postby Bojest » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:34 pm

Man there's a lot of spammers on this site.
Bojest

Postby jasonfire » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:16 pm

I really appreciate the kindle fire review efforts with which you are coming forward today but I can tell you right now that nobody in the world is going to beat me at doing what it is that I do period.
jasonfire

Postby petefrederick » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:55 pm

Go with the bigger bottle. Make sure you decant it for 4 hours. This is a young wine, and even with a 4 hour decant, will show it's youth. Very pretty bouquet of strawberries and vanilla. Sweet fruit, big oak, big acid, but not too tannic. Not one of my favorites.
petefrederick

Postby jasonfire » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:21 pm

I would like to tell you how to lose thigh fat right now that people all over the world will say that you can't do something but I am going to tell you right now that everything is possible if you put your mind to it.
jasonfire

Next

Return to Wine Talk