Lyle Fass – Word on the Street - 3-25-09; The Aging of Wine?

Re: Lyle Fass – Word on the Street - 3-25-09; The Aging of Wine?

Postby AiasTelemonian » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:00 am

Here's my experiance so far with California cabernets. In the past year I've tasted alot of 1997's. Ridge Montebello is good but I don't think it is any better now than it was two years ago. Dunn - both the Howell and the Napa - are very good. I think they could go a few more years. All the others were (my opinion) over the hill. I didn't get to try any 98's - I didn't buy any myself (on the advice of WS - more on that later) and I didn't see any at the tastings I went to. All the 99's (including Heitz, Caymus, Cakebread etc.) are drinking well but I don't think they are better than they were a year ago. I'm finishing off the ones I have and I'm glad I have them. I have no information on the 2000's. The 2001's are all fine. Even the 'new wave' ones (as I understand the term) are good. For example, I tasted a 2001 O'Shaughnessy Veeder - it was fresh and sweet. Like the 05 only smoother. I'll hold the 2005 for at least four more years. In general I hold 'unproven' stuff about 6 years and 'old school' (Mayacamas, Ridge, Dunn, Togni, Mt. Eden etc.) for 8 years. I don't think there's much sense going beyond about 12. One final note: 1998, 2000 and 2003 are all considered 'bad' (cool) years in CA. But so far, I'm really impressed with the 2003's and I regret not buying more of them (I have Mayacamas, Dunn, Anakota, Fisher). I like the 03's much better than the 04's so far. Anyway, I'd Love to hear specific information about which wines improve...
AiasTelemonian

Postby Lyle Fass » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:09 am

abreaks,

Oh storage of wine is a joke even with the purveyors who allegedely know what they are doing. Selling someone wine that is cleaned up that has been heat damaged is retails ugly secret. Who can tell if the wine has been cleaned up? Karma will get them.
Last edited by Lyle Fass on Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lyle Fass

Postby abreaks » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:15 am

Lyle,

We can only hope! In my perfect world, they would be forced to drink nothing but daily gallons of Two Buck Chuck mulled with dirty gym socks.
abreaks

Postby Lyle Fass » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:04 pm

Ya know what's crazy if I think about it . . .there's probably a ton of two buck chuck out there thats in people's cellars that is way over the hill. :lol:
Lyle Fass

Postby abreaks » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:29 pm

then maybe there's a little justice in the world after all!
abreaks

Postby Lyle Fass » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:10 am

I had a bottle of the 2005 Jean-Paul Brun Beaujolais l'Ancien Vieilles Vignes the other night and it dissapointed me. It was not closed, it just aged very boringly. When this wine was young it was vibrant, full of fruit, mineral, cracklin' acidity and lovely ripe tannins.

The other night it was like a fine table wine. Dull red fruits, adequate acidity, and drying tannins. The fruit was just not there anymore. I was nutso about this wine in its youth and drank through my fair share. Now Jean-Paul makes his wine naturally in the cellar, so there are no tricks at all, and many wine geeks are still drinking through their 2002's, so what gives?

I know Bojo is not meant to age that long, there are exceptions of course, but I always pegged this wine as an ager that would give me lovely unadulterated joy in 2009. Well it didn't and it has me questioning if I should age as many inexpensive wines as I do. All I know is I am more confused than I was before I had this bottle.

What say ye?
Lyle Fass

Re: Lyle Fass – Word on the Street - 3-25-09;The Ageing of Wine?

Postby stev25 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:46 pm

good points i really like it
stev25

Previous

Return to Speaker’s Corner